Sunday, December 25, 2011

Studio Visit with Karl Bielik


On a recent trip to London I had the opportunity to take a look inside the studio of Karl Bielik. I first became aware of Bielik's work in 2010 and quickly came to admire the paintings' straight forward painterliness and unique vocabulary of mark and form.








From Bielik's website, Statement:

Working on a multitude of paintings at a time, Karl Bielik's brew of abstractions are developed in batches. Irregular canvases cover his studio walls and floors, where he shifts from one painting to another, experimenting playfully with mark making. 
Formal lines taken from photographs and diagrams contrast loose oily wounds, thick emulsions offset light glazes and dribbles. Bielik fluctuates between techniques, pushing and challenging the paint until a kind of harmony is met. 
In contrast to this emotive imagery, banal solitary words form Bielik's titles, tempering and balancing the melancholy character of his paintings; the result, a prolific collection of finely tuned sophisticated studies.








Bielik is also the Director of Terrace Gallery and Studios in East London. In addition the artist also writes and performs in the musical group Lark who's new release I Don't Got is available on iTunes. More information on Bielik's music can be found on the band's Facebook page here.















7 comments:

brian edmonds said...

I have been a big fan since I came across his work only a short time ago. He seems to be very much a painter's painter. Thanks for the images I have a better feel for his work now.

Paul Behnke said...

Karl is doing some great work.

Phillip J. Mellen said...

Nice "walk through". Great images and paintings, thanks!

connie said...

Have had trouble going from large paintings to small and after viewing these wonderful images I feel I may be able to attempt it. Really like the paintings and love his process.....

Calvin Pennix said...

Nice! I absolutely love Karl's work.

Fiona the Artist said...

Hi Paul, I am enjoying reading your blog - we are connected on Facebook, and I also checked out your website. I love your colours! This interview is wonderful, and I like Karl's work very much too. All the best from Fiona Stanbury

Paul Behnke said...

Hi Fiona,

Thanks for keeping up with the blog and commenting!

Best,
Paul