Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Unsung: Peter Pinchbeck


Peter Pinchbeck 1931 - 2000


Twist of Fate, 1995, 64 x 72 in.


Untitled, 48 x 62 in.


Converse, 64 x72 in.


Yearning for the Infinite, 48 x 66 in.


Dusk, 60 x 72 in.


Untitled, 36 x 48 in.

"In the aftermath of his life, I find myself compelled to fight his battle for him: 
I am convinced that my father's art is late breaking news from the last century.
The work he left behind is probing and profound, abject and obstinate, 
luminous and eerie, eccentric yet true to its own inner logic. It revels in 
metaphysical doubt; it radiates the belief of its maker."

- From the article Need to Believe by Daniel Pinchbeck
Read the article here.

3 comments:

Mark Brown said...

Dusk is a favorite, the atmospherics in counterpoint to the imposing materiality of the surface. Gary Snyder recognized the value of Peter's vision. I hope they both get more recognition for this work.

Paul Behnke said...

Mark- I do too. Really think he's underrated.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work!