Saturday, May 21, 2011

T. E. Lawrence: Seven Pillars of Wisdom





"This, therefore, is a faded dream of the time when I went down into the dust and noise of the Eastern market-place, and with my brain and muscles, with sweat and constant thinking, made others see my visions coming true. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.”

“I loved you, so I drew these tides of men into my hands and wrote my will across the sky in stars.”

Club Secretary: I say, Lawrence. You are a clown! 
Lawrence: We can't all be lion tamers.

"Nine-tenths of tactics are certain, and taught in books: but the irrational tenth is like the kingfisher flashing across the pool, and that is the test of generals." 

"Immorality, I know. Immortality, I cannot judge." 

"He feared his maturity as it grew upon him with its ripe thought, its skill, its finished art; yet which lacked the poetry of boyhood to make living a full end of life." 



No comments: